My advice is to use the Blender 2.5 beta if you want to jump into Blender. They've made some big improvements to the UI, so it's a lot more intuitive now. Youtube has a lot of good tutorial videos.
The NES split its colors up into sets of 4, and each 8x8 tile could use one of these sets of 4 colors. For sprites, you were allowed 4 sets of 4 colors, and for the background you were allowed another 4 sets of 4 colors. So theoretically, your background could consist of a total of 16 colors.
Now, the catch with sprites is that one of the 4 colors you choose had to represent transparency, so in reality, NES sprites were limited to 3 colors total per 8x8 square. Sprites could not have more than 12 colors in total.
So, all told, at any given time, the NES could display 28 colors on screen simultanously -- 16 in the background, and 12 in the foreground.
Yeah, there's a reason for that. Technically that head is behind the rest of the body, so I didn't deal with it, since it will have to be on another layer. When this goes into production, I'll fix that.
Arranging the sprite sheets was a pain in the butt, so I only did enough of them to conduct a reasonable test. Once it's done, I'll add more. :)
Bart
My advice is to use the Blender 2.5 beta if you want to jump into Blender. They've made some big improvements to the UI, so it's a lot more intuitive now. Youtube has a lot of good tutorial videos.
Here's another silly chiptune:
http://opengameart.org/content/jump-and-run-8-bit
I'd just edit this one.
Very nice!
I'd love to see textures on this. :)
Here's a link that has the complete NES color palette a few posts down:
http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=215169
The NES split its colors up into sets of 4, and each 8x8 tile could use one of these sets of 4 colors. For sprites, you were allowed 4 sets of 4 colors, and for the background you were allowed another 4 sets of 4 colors. So theoretically, your background could consist of a total of 16 colors.
Now, the catch with sprites is that one of the 4 colors you choose had to represent transparency, so in reality, NES sprites were limited to 3 colors total per 8x8 square. Sprites could not have more than 12 colors in total.
So, all told, at any given time, the NES could display 28 colors on screen simultanously -- 16 in the background, and 12 in the foreground.
Yeah, there's a reason for that. Technically that head is behind the rest of the body, so I didn't deal with it, since it will have to be on another layer. When this goes into production, I'll fix that.
Bart
Are you guys going to let me sweep through this competition unchallenged? Here's an 8-bit remix of my airship theme.
http://opengameart.org/content/through-pixelated-clouds-8-bit-airship-remix
Here's a Mega-Man-2-esque drum loop. :)
http://opengameart.org/content/get-equipped-8-bit-drum-loop
Tell me, in detail, how you picture it working. :)
Pages