Bonus points if you include a copy of the license texts and a ReadMe.txt stating what license(s) applies and giving any attribution instructions. Plus a link back here for good measure. ;)
If you wanted to do a theme, I would suggest making it one that dove-tailed with the general concept of using OGA assets. "Sharing is Caring" or "The Magesty of the Commons" or something like that.
The nice part of a theme is it provides a creative springboard to help get people going. Someone once told me the hardest part of making games is starting with a blank page. Once you pencil a few things in, everything begins to flow from there, but when you start out and you're just staring at that blank page that's the toughest part. Having a theme to work around can definitely help with this and might help encourage submissions.
On the other hand, as already stated by others, it does narrow the possibilities somewhat and could discourage entries that way. TBH, I don't know what theme my entry in last year's jam could possibly have fit into.
@Spring: Although, I also tend to stick with my own assets (mostly because I am (somewhat irrationally) terrified of encountering licensing issues), I will say that using other people's stuff was actually part of the fun for me in last year's OGA Game Jam. It gave me a chance to work with some great art (way better than my own stuff ;) and it was fun to challenge myself and see what I could do without insisting on creating everything myself for a change. Well just my 2 cents for you ;)
seeing the stages of your process is also super cool!
You are just made it that much harder not to put down my big 5 year project and run out and make the adventures of Old Man Miney McMiner!
In a desperate attempt to sate my Miney McMiner thirst without actually starting in on the game, I'm currently working up a few color variants using my goofy pixel palette tool thing, so stay tuned!
ps sorry for the delayed response, I was traveling all this past week.
For fun, I tried adding a bearded old man head, but I don't think it came out too well.
Sharing anyhow, maybe someone else can show us all how it's done :)
shared under the same license, but don't bother crediting me, give all credit to DezrasDragons.
Friday, March 23, 2018 - 15:24
this is awesome!!
thanks much for sharing!
Thursday, March 22, 2018 - 09:43
@red44: The license for this work is CC0 so you can use it for just about anything you want. You don't even need to credit Wyrmheart for it if you don't want to (although it's always nice to credit an artist when using their work). If you want to link to the work, here's the URL for this page on opengameart.org:
Bonus points if you include a copy of the license texts and a ReadMe.txt stating what license(s) applies and giving any attribution instructions. Plus a link back here for good measure. ;)
good? it looks AMAZING!!!
great work Spring!
Not only does it all look excellent, you've managed to give each enviroment it's own unique look and feel even with such a tiny palette!
Most impressive! Really shows what can be done with a small color palette in the right hands.
On top of all that, the character sprites are adorable!
Love every bit of it! thanks much for sharing!
These are all sensational! you really nailed the cute platformer style, thanks much for sharing!
If you wanted to do a theme, I would suggest making it one that dove-tailed with the general concept of using OGA assets. "Sharing is Caring" or "The Magesty of the Commons" or something like that.
The nice part of a theme is it provides a creative springboard to help get people going. Someone once told me the hardest part of making games is starting with a blank page. Once you pencil a few things in, everything begins to flow from there, but when you start out and you're just staring at that blank page that's the toughest part. Having a theme to work around can definitely help with this and might help encourage submissions.
On the other hand, as already stated by others, it does narrow the possibilities somewhat and could discourage entries that way. TBH, I don't know what theme my entry in last year's jam could possibly have fit into.
@Spring: Although, I also tend to stick with my own assets (mostly because I am (somewhat irrationally) terrified of encountering licensing issues), I will say that using other people's stuff was actually part of the fun for me in last year's OGA Game Jam. It gave me a chance to work with some great art (way better than my own stuff ;) and it was fun to challenge myself and see what I could do without insisting on creating everything myself for a change. Well just my 2 cents for you ;)
haha! I love it!
seeing the stages of your process is also super cool!
You are just made it that much harder not to put down my big 5 year project and run out and make the adventures of Old Man Miney McMiner!
In a desperate attempt to sate my Miney McMiner thirst without actually starting in on the game, I'm currently working up a few color variants using my goofy pixel palette tool thing, so stay tuned!
ps
sorry for the delayed response, I was traveling all this past week.
For fun, I tried adding a bearded old man head, but I don't think it came out too well.
Sharing anyhow, maybe someone else can show us all how it's done :)
shared under the same license, but don't bother crediting me, give all credit to DezrasDragons.
this is awesome!!
thanks much for sharing!
@red44: The license for this work is CC0 so you can use it for just about anything you want. You don't even need to credit Wyrmheart for it if you don't want to (although it's always nice to credit an artist when using their work). If you want to link to the work, here's the URL for this page on opengameart.org:
https://opengameart.org/content/rpg-game-ui
awesome! He looks even better! The slight bounce is a great add to his run, I should have thought of that!
Times like this I hate being comitted to a long term project because I'd really love to make Old Man McMineypants come alive!
Oh well, definitely book marking this one for the next OGA game jam!
The monster looks great!
Love the flame pit framing for him also!
Just needs a name now!
Pages