Isometric Hero and Heroine
Here are the hero and heroine sprites used in Flare.
The scale you see is approximately 32x32px = 1m^2. Shaped appropriately for 64x32px base tiles (those measure 1.5m^2). This means the sprites are approximately 50px tall -- very similar to the scale used in old games like Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and Diablo. The scale is set to also work well for turn-based games (tactics, rogue-likes).
The same basic equipment is given for both genders. Each is in its own layer:
- Base full-body armor (cloth, leather, steel)
- Blade weapons (dagger, shortsword, longsword, greatsword)
- Ranged weapons (slingshot, shortbow, longbow, greatbow)
- Magic weapons (wand, rod, staff, greatstaff)
- Shields (buckler, shield)
Each frame of animation is 128x128px (large enough to fit all equipment). Animations are shown in 8 directions.
- Stance (4 frames)
- Running (8 frames)
- Melee Swing (4 frames)
- Block (2 frames)
- Hit and Die (6 frames)
- Cast Spell (4 frames)
- Shoot Bow (4 frames)
Finally, heads are on a separate layer.
- Male comes with a short hair, bald, and hood option
- Female only has one option at the moment
I use Blender 2.49 to create all of these. Blender files attached. Included is a python script that renders the 32-frame animation in 8 directions. Also included is an ImageMagick montage script to combine those 256 images into one sprite sheet.
Distressed Leather (used in Leather Armor) by D. Sharon Pruitt (CC-BY) http://www.flickr.com/photos/pinksherbet/3005071597/
A few weapons loosely inspired by Naraphim (CC-BY-SA) http://naraphim.deviantart.com/art/Weapon-Set-Complete-2007-73660253